According Payscale’s Technology Company Salary and Job Satisfaction Report, Google and Microsoft offer best salary in tech industry. On an average Google pays $141, 000 as compare to Amazon $110,000 and $127,000 at Microsoft. Although the starting pay at Microsoft is $86,900 while Google’s starting pay is $82,600. H-P paid the worst, with the report indicating that workers at the computer maker earn 15 percent less than similar workers at other big tech companies. H-P workers also were the least satisfied.
The report also outlined that Amazon and Facebook employees are most stressed in tech industry.
said Dr. Al Lee, director of quantitative analysis at PayScale, Said,
Not only do many of the large tech companies pay their typical employees well into the six figures – not surprising given the large number of well-paid engineers on staff – they also pay a premium of as much as 23 percent above typical pay for the same kind of employees working at ‘normal’ companies. With a CEO who is 27, it is not surprising to find many who work at Facebook are young, excited to work there, and a little stressed out. IBM celebrates its 100th anniversary this year; the workforce is a little grayer than Facebook, but the employees’ tenure at IBM testifies that it is still a great place to work.
The survey by the Seattle Company ranked nine technology companies on factors such as compensation, demographics and workplace flexibility. Here are the key findings:
- Workers at Google earn the best pay relative to the other tech companies:
- Overall, when holding all else constant, median pay for Google employees is 23 percent higher than similar workers doing similar roles at other companies and over 10 percent higher than similar workers at the other big tech companies.
- The "worst" pay is at Hewlett-Packard (HP):
- Holding all else constant, workers at HP typically earn 5 percent less than similar workers at all other employers and earn about 15 percent less than similar workers at the other big tech companies.
- Employees of IBM tend to stay at IBM: the average tenure at IBM is eight years, which is about six years longer than the tenure at the other tech firms.
- Similarly, IBM workers tend to be the oldest: the typical age of workers at IBM is 44 years old.
- Workers at Facebook are relatively young; a typical worker at Facebook is only 26 compared to a typical age of 36 across the other companies.
- Female employees are still the minority at the big tech firms: on average, only 25 percent of the employees at the tech companies are female (compared to over 50 percent of employees at all companies).
- Microsoft is the most flexible tech company when it comes to determining work and vacation schedules.
- Workers at Facebook are the most satisfied with their jobs, while those at HP are the least satisfied.
- Facebook employees may be the most satisfied with their work, but they are also some of the most stressed.
Top paying IT Employers
|Company||Starting Median Pay||Mid-Career
|% Above or Below Market Pay for the IT Industry|
|Apple Computer, Inc.||$43,100||$112,000||15%|
|International Business Machines (IBM) Corp.||$65,100||$107,000||5%|
Company Culture: Top Tech Employers
IT Companies: Job Satisfaction Survey Data
IT Companies: Health Insurance Benefits and Perks
Top Stressed IT Employees
|Company||Stress Level||Stress Level(Numeric Score, Higher means More Stress)|
|Amazon.com, Inc.||Highly Stressful||4.0|
|Apple Computer, Inc.||Stressful||3.8|
|Facebook, Inc.||Highly Stressful||4.0|
|International Business Machines (IBM) Corp.||Stressful||3.8|
Percentage of Female Workers
|Company||Percentage of Female Workers|
|Apple Computer, Inc.||26%|
|International Business Machines (IBM) Corp.||24%|